Disasters happen on a daily basis, and when they occur, your preparedness will become a top priority in your survival. The following is a list of our top survival items that our staff members have purchased and used themselves.
Etón FR160GR Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio
The following is a real testimonial from one of our staff members: The Etón FR160GR Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio, came in handy several times over the last two years. Our family was without power, and we were able to crank up this small radio, and enjoy the several different weather bands that come with the crank radio.
The flashlight that comes with crank radio is easy to use, and works well for lighting any dark area.
Everything works as advertised with this radio, the only problem is that it can get tiring to crank the radio up at times. The good news is that you can set the radio in the sun to charge it back up. We never had the chance to use solar panel on the top of the radio by putting it outside, under the sun.
If we had to rate this radio, we would give it a 8.5/10
Here are some of the product features for this particular product:
- Emergency purified water for immediate use; lightweight and extremely compact(64)-125 ml sachets
- Loss potential minimized due to individual sachet and ideal for storage
- Easy to dispense from a pre-measured sachet; superior packaging materials for optimum durability in your survival kit
- USCG, Canadian Coast Guard, EC and NZ approval (NSN 8960 0112 4454 3)
- 5 years shelf life
GobSpark FireSteel Ranger with Super Scraper and Lanyard
One of the key elements to have in your emergency preparedness is a backup, and if you store matches this Firesteel Super Scraper and Lanyard can be a great backup source of fire.
- Genuine FireSteel.com FireSteel formulated to give great gobs of sparks.
- Enough FireSteel to make hundreds of fires.
- Easy to use and very safe (Common sense required when using any firemaking gear).
- Comes with Super Scraper that maximizes your sparks
- 550 Parachute Cord. Color may vary.
Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10)
During the hurricane Irene disaster there was a large need to stay warm after the hurricane made its way through the area. Having access to any source of heat made a big difference in many of the families who were affected, and these thermal blankets can make that difference.
The thing that we liked about these packets is that they use your own body heat to help keep you warm. The only problem that we encountered was being able to easily fold these blankets back up, after we opened them.
The item features:
- Rescue Blanket provides compact emergency protection in all-weather condition
- Made of durable insulation Mylar material
- Retains/reflects 90% of body heat
- Waterproof and weatherproof
- Size of each open blanket: 54 inches x 84 inches
By placing a few of these items on your emergency item list, you can improve your chances of being ready for a disaster that could take you by surprise.
Remembering events such as hurricane Katrina reminds us all that you cannot be fully dependant FEMA to help you during emergencies. It is not that FEMA is a bad organization, it is just that they cannot help everyone in every disaster that takes place.
Stay tuned for our next list of emergency preparedness items, as we purchase, and then review them in the very near future.